Risperidone Pros and Cons
- Risperidone is available in various dosage forms, including oral tablets, oral disintegrating tablets (Risperdal M-TABS), oral solution, and long acting injection (Risperdal Contra).
- There is a low cost version of this medicine available (Risperdal generic).
- You only need to take risperidone once or twice a day.
- You can take this medicine with or without food.
- Risperidone can be given to children and adolescents
- Risperidone can cause side effects like drowsiness and dizziness, which can increase your risk of accidents and injuries.
- Taking this medicine can lead to an increase in cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels.
- Risperidone can cause an increase in appetite and weight gain.
- This medicine can cause hormonal changes that can affect fertility and cause male breast enlargement, menstrual irregularities, sexual dysfunction, and painful erections.